Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Team Player

There are many ways that people deal with conflicts, some push to have their words heard while others just simply follow the crowd believing that their words won’t matter. Both of these behaviors were observed during the class activity. Although there were many people who struggled to express their opinions, there were also many people who chose not to actively participate in the decision making process including myself. At first, I chose to withdraw myself from the process because I highly doubted we were going to come to a 100% agreement as a class given the amount of people involved. However, noticing the chaos diminished with the emergence of a leader figure; I decided to accommodate to the situation realizing that there might still be a chance for a positive outcome. Also, understanding the importance of this decision to the majority of the class, I chose to go along with whatever decision the class came up with.
Nevertheless, since I now know the different ways that people implement to handle conflicts and the reasoning behind them, I think I would choose to collaborate with others in a decision making process. I agree with the professor that having multiple groups is the most effective way to derive a decision especially among a large group of people. I believe it is easier to come to a conclusion in a small group than a large one. I think that the fastest way to come to a decision is for a small group to agree on a proposition first before the class as a whole can then negotiate among these propositions. Also, I feel that the best decision is one made through the collaboration of the best ideas from each group.

2 comments:

  1. I now agree that working in groups would probably have been more effective in coming up with a decision more efficiently. At first I was really opposed to working in smaller groups to reach a conclusion because that would just take too long with the small group discussion and then the larger group discussion, but then now that I think about it, it makes sense. There would be a collaboration of ideas within a group that would be agreed upon and with groups, although there would seem to be less choices, all the ideas are actually just combined. I'm glad we came up with a decision that benefits everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also didn't participate because people already said the ideas before me. All my ideas were basically duplicates of what were on the board by the time the leader got to the people sitting on the left side. I agree breaking into small groups was the best option too.

    ReplyDelete